Thursday, August 25, 2011

Scriptures from Sunday School Lesson

1 Corinthians 2:5  That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the apower of God. I was reading this and it just hit me, the first thing I realized that it tied into  a conversation I'd just had about true faith, and how to know if the knowledge we acquire is good or not. Another part of the Sunday School lesson talked about how the church followed and who was the leader of the church. Thought, prompting, promise, came again this week, was that my father might have the chance to see me get married, "Out of Thin Air." It was an old promise that last year, I was told again...along with some interesting lies to make me believe he could do it. But really the lies taught me was how my father might join the church, the great things about half truths are...well they're half true, you just have to figure out which part is true....Okay back to the point, so I've know since October how my father join the church. I watched a half hearted attempt at it, but my father wasn't going to budge for him. So I've now been questioning not how will it happen, or even who will help, but really that it looks so impossible with the distance so how will that change. So the scripture today just really seemed to say that by God's power it will happen, and no other way can it be done. If my father is to really join the church and see me get married, only God's power will do it, not by the wisdom of man. Now later in the lesson they use the scripture Mosiah 3:19, and it just hit me that my father is a great example of the that scripture, he is an enemy to God and will be forever...Unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Ghost, which means that this next section has to stop on my part, if I keeping giving into contention then Satan wins, and the Holy Ghost can't win.
I also like that again this week part of the lesson is on contention, the saints back then hadn't gotten it from the last weeks lesson either...It references Doctrine and Covenants 38:27, the part that stood out to me was: If ye are not one, ye are not mine. I guess I see that in the family setting if you as a family working together with the same goals then your divided and you can't progress together as a family. 1 Corinthians 1:10 tells us to be of the same mind and judgement. If you are then you'll be able to work on the same goals. I also like 3 Nephi 11:29 which says...but is of the bdevil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another. I like that it points out exactly were contention comes from, and that it is his goal to stir up our hearts to anger one with another. I have this problem A LOT with my dad, he is a huge source of where my contention comes from especially when in the car with him. And yes even last week after teaching the Sunday School lesson, I still had problems with it. I think that Satan is really using that to keep the Spirit out of our lives, because it works so well. Which is partly why I love this month Ensign and the article called Anticipation the Need to Forgive, I guess I should work on forgiving my father while he is gone, because I know when he comes home I'll be put to the test.
I promise this is the last scripture...for now. 1 Corinthians 6:13 says...Now the body is not for afornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body. Okay, so our bodies weren't made for sin but for the Lord and the Lord for the body.  Which means to me for my body to be for the Lord, I have to love my body and dedicate it to the service of the Lord. I have to stop fighting my body, then maybe it will heal completely including the headaches, and then put it use doing the Lord's work for me. It also tell me the Lord wants to be a part of our bodies, he wants us to allow His spirit to dwell inside of us which in turns means we have to be clean, but also active so He will want to be with us as we do his work, and having His spirit with will make it easier for us to know what He wants of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment