Monday, August 8, 2011

Cinderella...

When I was sixteen I was working on day with this guy named Chris Hopkins, he was a great person to work with very protective of me and taught me how the male brain worked, it was great. One day I was working with him, when he turned to me and said, "For the way your doing that you belong in the Cinderella story," (I was cleaning this really nasty food bar with dried on food.) As he walked away, I was thinking he thought I was the evil stepmother since I was basically in charge of him and all the other college students at 16. When he walked back into the dining room I replied, "Am I the evil stepmother, or the ugly stepsisters?" To which he answered, "Neither, your not that bad," knowing Chris, I knew he meant I wasn't that ugly. Since Ever After was the latest Cinderella movie at that date, all I could think was how beautiful everyone was in that movie, so that wasn't saying much or was it? After some thought Chris final answer was: "You're Cinderella, not because your beautiful, but because you're not a dog." I just laughed at him as he walked away, I was surprised by the complement he gave me, only to have him ruin it in the same breathe...Now if that was all there was to the story you would think that scarred me for life. It was interesting that for the next week I kept hearing different Cinderella stories, and so I came to my own thoughts on Cinderella.
In the Disney version you meet Cinderella, right after she's had this DREAM, it was about her being someone special, and she began to believe in a life different than the one she was living. She didn't know she was beautiful, only that she had this dream that she believed in that made her special. All of the Cinderella stories focus on the dream, not her looks. My conclusion was that his comment about me being Cinderella was exactly right, "I'm Cinderella, and it has nothing to do with being beautiful, because I am a D.aughter O.f G.od, or a DOG." That is my dream, to be just that someone who doesn't focus on her looks, but being the Daughter of God, he wants me to be.
Now to Friday... I posted that I have to say I feel like Cinderella in a whole new way...I had never looked at the Cinderella story from the point where: The whole household is preparing for the BALL, and poor Cinderella is taking the time to help everyone else, instead of preparing herself. See she really wanted to take the time to sew this beautiful dress for herself, in some versions she's met this guy who works in the palace as a baker (LOL. true plot line.) So she wants to go, not to met the prince but to have the chance to talk to the baker again. So she wants to spend that time getting ready to met him again, because she was told she would some day live in the castle...and well the baker lives in the castle, with the prince (who she always thought the story meant instead of the baker.) So we all know what happens...Cinderella's stepmother doesn't let her go, so she's left alone instead of going to the BALL with the rest of the town. Well, we also know that her Fairy Godmother, shows up and saves the day...and in the story Cinderella goes to the BALL, and yes the baker turns out to be the prince...or at least her prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment