Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Why Did I Start Knitting?

I started knitting because I was told that I didn't have any skills that qualified me to be a stay-at-home mother and wife, by my ex-boyfriend. So I thought about all of the things I could do to improve my qualifications: expand my cooking and baking skills, create housekeeping skills, take up sew (which I have always wanted to learn, and figured would be useful skill to learn.), but none of those ideas really thrilled me. I was stressed out because I was VERY behind in one of the two last classes I needed to graduate and needed something that would relieve that stress. I found some triangle shawls I had started years ago, for my sisters, mother, and myself, and just started knitting. To prove to this guy that I did have homemaking skill...they just weren't going to be used in his HOME.
I enjoyed knitting the rest of the school year, which was like 2 or 3 weeks, then a friend of my started this Homemade Pay-it Forward gift exchange at the beginning of this year. I had already been talking about continuing knitting and looking for sales to buy more yarn, needles, other knitting supplies, and knitting books. At the beginning of the year I found about every large craft store in the area was having knitting things on sale, so my mom and I went shopping for knitting supplies. By that time I know who the first 3 people I would be knitting for, and I had very easily come up with the perfect project for each of them...and what can I say now I can't stop knitting.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Screw him. GO YOU!!! :) Can't wait to see all the awesome things you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I just laugh sometime when I think of all of the things I've done that he would say I can't do well and that without him telling me I'm not qualified to be a stay-at home mom; I wouldn't of started knitting so...the rest is history in the making.

    ReplyDelete